Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Am Afraid...

my thoughts:
I have so much respect for parents. Especially parents of young children and students. You have embarked upon this selfless journey that requires you to give up sleep, personal preference, personal bubble, movie choices, and countless other freedoms. I realize that I have listed purely negative items so far, but this plays directly into my fears. I fear the kid.

Although, I will admit that over the past few months I have become much more open to the idea of raising a child...oh wait, that was about owning a dog. Sorry, scratch that.



what i've heard:
Parents have told me that their is no greater joy than raising up a child and seeing them successfully enter adulthood and develop a love for Jesus. If I didn't work with students, I probably wouldn't have anything to say on this topic and I would stick to reviewing video games and iPhones (the iPhone 5 is awesome btw). But, after working with students for the past eight years, I am more convinced than ever that the role of parent is the third most critical role a person can have in life (number one is being a child of God, and number two is being a spouse).

what i've seen:
You provide love, care, support, guidance, hugs, discipline, boundaries, smiles, identity, stability, and the list goes on. You can never invest too much in your child's life. 


And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
Deut. 6:6-9

bringing it home:
Thank you parents for all that you do. May the Lord bless your efforts to raise your children in a Godly home. Keep perspective. See the end goal. Fight through the attitude. Refine them for God's glory. 

I am looking up to you and willing to support you in anyway I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment