Saturday, January 14, 2012

Holy?


I recently heard about someone who was struggling with the concept of holiness. For them, 1 Peter 1:13-16 is a paralyzing passage because it brings about an impossible standard.

1 Peter 1:13-16 reads, “Therefore, get your minds ready for action 29  by being fully sober, and set your hope completely on the grace that will be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 1:14 Like obedient children, do not comply with 32  the evil urges you used to follow in your ignorance,  1:15 but, like the Holy One who called you, become holy yourselves in all of your conduct, 1:16 for it is written, ‘You shall be holy, because I am holy.’” (netbible.org)


What's your first reaction to this verse?

No, seriously, what do you think it means?

I'll give you some time to think about it....

My first thoughts were that this was more of a suggestion than a mandate. God is full of love and grace, right? He knows that I can't be holy like He is holy. So why does he ask/expect it? I feel like this is an impossible standard. I'm honestly not sure that I have a great explanation for this passage yet. I will continue to research it and keep you posted.

But, what came to my mind next was: how many of us are striving for holiness?

Are you striving to improve yourself? Are you trying to be a better wife, husband, father, mother, friend, employee, boss, etc.? Do you wish you could improve your three greatest weaknesses? I hope you answered yes to some part of all three of those questions. But, we must all ask ourselves this question: am I longing for holiness?

Am I living in such a way that others would see it has holy? Am I trying to act like Jesus would. I know it's cliche, but are we? My goal usually is to not sin, my focus should be on becoming holier like Christ.  

I know this means we don't have to be perfect, but, do we use that as an excuse? I know I have been.

What are your thoughts?




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My goal usually is to not sin, my focus should be on becoming holier like Christ."

    I seriously dig that Pete!

    Here are a few of my thoughts, since you asked!

    I think one thing that struck me was that Peter (the apostle)is quoting Lev. 19. I think this is cool because it means that he believes the Lev. is still relevant and applicable....even though its a book full of priestly laws!

    Also, if you look at Lev. 19...it's all about loving others as yourself! So it seems to me that being Holy, as God is holy, is deeply connected to loving neighbor as yourself.

    ReplyDelete