Sunday, January 22, 2012

3 Things David Crowder Band Taught Me about Worship

David Crowder Band (DCB) just released their 9th and final album as a band. They began releasing worship albums in the late 90s and have been among the likes of Chris Tomlin and Hillsong ever since.







I was first introduce to DCB my freshman year of high school at Youth for Christ's national youth convention, DCLA, back in 2003. They were electrifying, goofy looking, and authentically worshipping God. I was hooked. I began to buy every album the day or week it was released and would proceed to learn the entire album on my guitar and introduce many of the songs to my youth group's worship leaders for us to play.

Now that I have to come to grips with the fact that this is their final album, I have naturally thought back to what they have meant to me as a lover of music, a worship leader, and a follower of Christ.

1. As a lover of music, I have learned that Christian music and worship music does not need to lag behind the relevant music of our culture. DCB has always been on the cutting edge of music and at times have been ahead of the game (they were playing the banjo way before Gungor... I love Gungor too, though!). They never settled to simply say they were a worship band and rely on that to sell their music. From my perspective, they always strived to do their best musically and create music that appealed not only to Christians, but Christians within this American culture.

2. As a worship leader, DCB taught me the important balance between engaging the audience and letting the Holy Spirit use the medium of music to guide people before the throne of grace. When the worship leader talks enough to become the teaching pastor, it can take away from the beauty of the musical experience. Music intricately blends truth and emotion and it speaks to our souls in a way that only God could dream up.

3. As a follower of Christ, DCB has allowed me to enter with awe into Christ's presence. Whether it is at a convention, a concert, or in my car listening to a CD their music and the authenticity of their worship allows me to embrace the majesty and glory of Christ. For this, I am forever grateful.

So, thank you, DCB. God has allowed you to help cultivate in me a passion for music, a love of leading worship, and a deeper relationship with Christ.

1 comment: