Monday, February 20, 2012

Another Example of Why I Do, What I Do

I love my job. It has been a dream of mine to be a full-time youth pastor since I was a junior in high school. I have wanted this job because I had a youth pastor who God used to help transform and shape my life. God used him to teach me how to follow Christ, love others, and serve with all my heart. This combination of things has redefined who I am forever. I want to be used like that. I want to open myself up to God to be used to point others to Him. This past week I was reminded of all of this.


A few weeks ago students at Impact spent 30 minutes or so diving into God’s Word on their own. They were given a piece of paper that outlined a journey through God’s Word that would help them know the truth of following God vs. following culture.



After 30 minutes, we sang a song and then I felt the Holy Spirit telling me to ask anybody if they wanted to commit their life to Christ. I was so excited to see 6 hands go up! One hand in particular caught my attention. It was a girl who comes regularly, but I knew very little about her or her family.

After Impact I went up and hugged her and asked her what had happened. Why did she decide to commit her life to Christ. She replied, “It just clicked tonight. Something was different.”
THAT’S IT! That’s what I long for God to do! I long for Him to use me to help others realize the awesome relationship they can have with Him! So I went out and bought her a devotion book, a worship CD, wrote her an encouragement note, and a family in the church who had already been praying for her(AWESOME!) bought her a Bible with her name on it.

Three days after giving her this gift bag, I received this note(image on the right):

This is one reason why I love Christ, this is why I love the power of the gospel, this is why I pour my heart and soul into the small group leaders and students of Impact, this is why I pray and ask others to pray for Impact, this is why I do what I do. To see a student get it, receive it, live it, and be fulfilled by it. Only Jesus can do it. I love getting to be a part of it.

“In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels when even one sinner repents.” - Jesus Christ

Where have you seen God at work lately? Have you had the privilege of leading someone to Christ? 

I would love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment