Tuesday, February 14, 2012

My Valentine & Some Thoughts for Single Guys



My wife Beth is the most incredible person I know. She possess a heart for the Lord and a passion for people that truly inspires me. She is bold, caring, and supportive. She loves me for who I am, not what I've done. She models to younger and older women alike what it means to serve others. She has organized several major service projects including a house being painted, she has spent the last four years pouring her heart and soul into her small group girls, and that whole time she was actively supporting me as I embrace the whirlwind that is full-time ministry.  When Proverbs 31 talks about the character of a Godly woman, it describes Beth. 



I am blessed to be her husband, best friend, and Settlers of Catan archenemy. I love laughing, crying, and living life together. 

A few of my thoughts for single (young or slightly less young) guys:

Wait for that one-in-a-million-girl. I always describe Beth as one-in-a-million. They're out there. Girls who place a high value on themselves and their hearts. They don't spend time chasing things of this world. They care about their relationship with God and others.

When you find her, pursue her like crazy! Beth worked at Biggby(local coffee shop) during high school and I spent some much time(and money) going in their while she was working. It was the perfect plan. She had to talk to me and I knew right where she would be for 4 hours. That sounded way creepier than I wanted it to, but you get the point. Pursue her with passion and genuine care. 

Don't take someone else's word for it. I always heard everybody say that Bethany Alia was an amazing girl with a deep love for God. I trusted those people, but I wanted to find out for myself. I wanted to find out what she was like when we weren't at church. What kind of decisions did she make? Who were her friends? What was her reputation at school? Work? Home? Get to know a girl before you enter into a dating relationship with her.


Who is your valentine today? 

Have you told them how much they mean to you?




5 comments:

  1. Pete, I think you need some sort of disclaimer in the "pursue" paragraph, if she tells you she isn't interested, feels uncomfortable around you, asks you to leave her alone, etc. stalking is not cool or acceptable. I know that isn't what you did with Beth, but you'd hate to accidentally give someone license to do that.
    Other than that, not a bad blog post.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, Amelia! Pursuing and stalking are two very different things. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  2. I first heard this story at a marriage retreat and it's around on the web in various forms. Basically, show your wife (or someone special) how important and meaningful she is every day, and she will feel that way about herself. The story is linked below.

    Johnny Lingo's Eight-Cow Wife
    http://www.biblehelp.org/cow.htm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a sweet story, Jeff. It's definitely a different perspective than we see today in our society. It would be great to see men treating women with more love and respect! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. I agree with everything you said! Beth is one in a million and we just adore her! She didn't do to shabby in getting you either! We love you guys and wish you'd surprise us again on our doorstep! Hint, hint! Mandy

    ReplyDelete