Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What Praying with a Dying Woman Made Me Think About.

Have you ever held the hand of someone who knows they’re dying?

A few days ago, I had the incredible privilege to take communion and pray with a dying woman, named Jane(not her real name, but we'll call her that). Jane has had an incurable disease for over five years. She has planned her own funeral. She has picked out all the songs, the slideshow, who is speaking, who’s NOT speaking, and where it will be. She has written poems she wants read when she’s gone and she has even had to put her own dog down in anticipation of not being on this earth anymore.

                            
When I was sitting with Jane, another pastor was mentoring me through this process, I couldn’t help but wonder what that must be like, to know that you are dying. Within months, you will most likely be dead. I honestly can't handle that thought right now, not because I fear death...I fear the unknown.

We spent a good half hour or so talking with her about how she was doing and the funeral plans. Then as we approached the time to leave, we knelt down to pray for and with her. The pastor I was withed asked the woman and I to both pray during this time of coming before God. I was amazed and shaken by her prayer.

The only phrase I remember before she got to choked up to continue was, “Lord, you are my light and my shining star.”

I was amazed at the hope she had even in the face of death and I was shaken by how much I connected with her emotions regarding the end of her life here on earth. She believes in Christ and she knows she is heading home. She only referred to her funeral as either a ‘home-going’ or ‘celebration of life’. Yet, the reality of the situation was forcing her to place all her hope and fear in Christ. Her words expressed her love and gratitude for Christ and her tears expressed her uncertainty in death.

Even Christ asked the Father if there was a way around Him having to die.

“Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” 43 Then an angel from heaven appeared and strengthened him. 44 He prayed more fervently, and he was in such agony of spirit that his sweat fell to the ground like great drops of blood. 
- Luke 22:42-43

The Father never created us to die. He never wanted that. But, even something as scary, uncertain, and dark as death has been redeemed. The broken body and shed blood of Christ has brought the hope that Jane displayed.

When you think about death, is there any hope? If not, I would love to tell you about the hope I have.  

1 comment: