Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ever Wondered What Maundy Thursday Is?

When I woke up today, I remembered it was Maunday, Maundree, Mounday, or something like that Thursday. To be open with you, I have never known why it is called that. Today, I decided to find out and it's amazing how it all came together and what I learned from it.




First step in finding out what it was, Google it. Surprise! Wikipedia was the first thing to pop up. 
Wikipedia
It commemorates the Maundy (Oh, that's how you spell it) and Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maundy_Thursday)

Ok, so what's the Maundy? Good thing you can click on almost every word in wikipedia to learn what it means.
Wikipedia pt. 2
Maundy (from Latin Mandatum), or Washing of the Feet, is a religious rite observed as an ordinance by several Christian denominations. John 13:1-17 mentions Jesus performing this act.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_washing)

Are there any other definitions for maundy?

Merriam Webster
maundy - commandment.

(http://www.merriam-webster.com/)

A commandment? So did Jesus really command us to wash each others feet? I found that answer by heading to biblegateway.com and looking up John 13.


Bible Gateway
And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other." -  John 13:14-15, 34 NLT
(biblegateway.com)

Maundy Thursday is another beautiful demonstration from Jesus during the most important week in history. My view of Jesus was getting bigger and that reminded me of a tweet I saw today from Tim Keller.


Twitter
Every religion has a prophet who is pointing people to God. Jesus is the only one who says, "I am God, and I am coming to find you." - 

Jesus modeled to us exactly what He wants us to do. He wants us to serve each other no matter how uncomfortable, messy, or humiliating it is. Jesus came to live out what He calls us to. 

The last piece of my cyberspace puzzle was put into place when I remembered what I read this morning in the YouVersion, Bible app I have on my phone.  

YouVersion
Luke 9:23 And He said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me."

Jesus isn't asking any of us to do anything He hasn't already done. He is the ultimate model of how we should live and thankfully He's the ultimate giver of grace, love, and life. That's the kind of life I want to model mine after. 


How could you follow Jesus' example and wash someone's feet this weekend? 

What do you think about a God who humiliates Himself to serve others?



No comments:

Post a Comment